February 20, 2023 | Posted in:

Did you notify the IRS of your address change? (Video)

Have you moved within the past year? Did you update your address with the IRS?  There are several ways to notify the IRS of an address change.

If you  changed your address after filing your return, you should notify the post office that services your old address. There is no guarantee that the post office will forward all of your mail, especially  government checks, so it is important to  directly notify the IRS.

The first way to update your address with the IRS is by entering your new address on your next tax return. When your return is processed, the IRS will then update your address in their records.

You can also notify the IRS of your address change by form, in writing, or by phone.

To change your address by filing a form, you should complete Form 8822, Change of Address which is for an  individual, gift, estate, or generation-skipping transfer tax returns. If you are a business or other entity use  Form 8822-B, Change of Address or Responsible Party..

You can write  to inform the IRS that your address is changing. All you need is your full name, old and new addresses, social security number,  individual taxpayer identification number or employee identification number and your signature. If you filed a joint return, you must provide the information and signatures for both spouses. If you filed a joint return and are now living at separate residences, each joint taxpayer should notify the IRS of your new separate addresses.

You could also call in to notify the IRS of your address changing. You will need to following information if you call: full name, old and new addresses, date of birth, social security number or individual number or employer identification number.

If the change of address relates to an employment tax return, the IRS issues confirmation notices, Notices 148A and 148B, for the change to both the new and former address.

It can take four to six weeks for a change of address request to be fully processed. If you have any questions, contact an Alloy Silverstein advisor today!

Learn more:


Associate Partner
In Kelly's 30+ years of accounting and tax experience, she has worked with many closely-held businesses and business owners in the real estate, retail, professional service, not-for-profit, and agricultural industries.
View Kelly's Bio →